Saturday, July 23, 2011

Zumba!

First I will say, exercising since being reinfected has taken more out of me.  When I wake up in the mornings now, particularly this week, it's like my body is lead, bloated balloon and the joints are sharp and painful.  Two days this week I let my body win and I didn't go to the gym.  But by day 3, I had enough and I worked out.  I felt good afterwards but getting to that point to work out was a lot mentally.

So yesterday, my friend Patrick asked if I would go with him and a co-worker to Zumba.  I've done Zumba and I like it.  But this Zumba class was at a local Latin restaurant with drinking.  It was so unusual to me that I had to say yes!  It started at 10:00 pm.  So Patrick picked me up to go to the restaurant.  What was surprising to me was the fair number of Asian women among the Hispanic women.  As we waited for the instructors, I had a drink.  A big no-no in the Lyme Disease diet from Dr. S and a big no-no in general for those who are chronically inflamed.  But I haven't had a drink in months and I do love a good drink.  So I had one.  Applaud the willpower to stay with just one.

Then the instructors came.  It was like Zumba on acid.  I've never seen instructors like this in my Zumba experience.  And the restaurant was already warm, so when you have 60 people dancing to Zumba on acid, it's a sweat dripping mess.  I haven't sweat like that in my life.  I had a ton of fun, but after the first hour (!), I had to ask Patrick to take me home.  I felt like I was going to pass out.  I know, I know, I should have drank water.  But the restaurant wouldn't let people bring in water, so if I was going to splurge on a beverage, let it be a margarita.  There's plenty of water at home.  

I still had a buzz and my husband was on the computer when I came back.  As I chugged my water and talked to him about the evening, the Lyme began to flare.  My suspicion is on the alcohol, but it was a hot room and an intense workout, so who knows.  But the brain fog was horrible.  I would talk to my husband and it's like my train of thought would hit a blank wall.  At one point, when it happened in the conversation, I heard crickets.  But it turns out the crickets were noisier than usual last night.  To me, it's disconcerting when that happens and I'm not on alcohol.  But last night, with my buzz, if I lost my train of thought or the words just wouldn't come out like I wanted, I didn't care.  And it was liberating.  Probably not so much to my husband as he's trying to follow his wife's conversation.  

I showered and went to bed and this morning, I had a hangover.  I was horrified.  I've drank more than one drink in my past to get a hangover.  I'll just say it takes more than 2.  But this morning it was a hangover with the vicious headache and the disorientation.  I was irritated.  It seems with the Lyme, I'm back to level -10 with drinking.  Worse than a rookie.  I'm not trying to maintain a status, but if you're going to drink socially, you should be able to without unpleasant effects in the morning.  

I tried to get through my errands for the morning, which I did, but by noon, I was wiped out.  I laid down to take a short nap, maybe 45 minutes.  Instead it took 3 hours.  And after 3 hours I was still groggy.  But I feel better than I did this morning.  Thank God for weekends.  I couldn't imagine feeling the way I did this morning and attempt to go to work.  

But after last night, I think I'll have to entertain Zumba as part of my cardio.  

No comments:

Post a Comment