Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Dr. S

Had a mostly good weekend. Horrible Lyme flare on Sunday. Almost didn't make it to church. But I didn't want Lyme thinking that it was going to have me miss church. Because then it would take over and think it can make me miss work. Like a pet, Lyme, for me, has to be house-trained.

But my post is about my caring Lyme Literate Medical Doctor (LLMD), Dr. S. I saw him yesterday and he confirmed my tick bite.

Going to his office, it's calming. Empathy haven. Finally, someone who knows you're not crazy, or seeking attention. My husband met Dr. S for the first time yesterday as well and was glad to meet him and thanked him for getting me better the first time. And Dr. S' staff is ultra friendly.

So, the skinny, I have the Lyme bacteria and Bartonella. Again. What was a little concerning to Dr. S was I wasn't getting better on just doxycycline alone. Which suggests a co-infection. And I found out I was taking my doxy at the wrong time in the evening. If I take it an hour before bed, like I was doing, it'll tear my esophagus up. Which I will testify to.

Dr. S also gave some awesome encouragement about probiotics. I was asking if store bought fermented foods still have the potency of homemade fermented foods. His wife is a dietitian (who's super sweet and knowledgeable) and he called her up to ask. She verified that store bought kefir does have dairy and sugar in it. True kefir does not have any dairy or sugar remaining. I always wondered why I would still bloat from store bought kefir but not from homemade. After Lyme, I've become lactose intolerant and dairy makes me bloated. Sure doesn't help while I'm on the medication. After the call, Dr. S recommended the Body Ecology Diet regimen for probiotics and I've heard of it before, I just wasn't sure if Dr. S approved. He does, so I'm going to be all over that.

Meanwhile, because of my car's problems, my family was along for the visit too. So as I'm talking to Dr. S, I hear the baby running down the hall as someone is running after her. I felt bad that my family was cooped up in the waiting room, but they were all happy to meet Dr. S. It brought a gravity to the situation.

As I drove back to the car shop to pick up my car, I became increasingly tired. By the time we stopped, I was exhausted. When I went to the counter to ask about the car, I was barely coherent. A symptom I notice from Lyme is long driving will take me out. Word and syntax is not available. Listening takes effort and even then, everyone sounds like the grown-ups from Charlie Brown. The “mwa mwa mwa” sound. After an hour drive to and from Dr. S' office, I was no good. I remember the guy from the shop talking. What he said, the only thing I remember is tire, which I found wasn't what he said. I stopped him and said I just came back from my appointment and I needed a minute and I put my head down on the counter. I had to breathe. I felt like I was going to lose consciousness. I scraped around for my willpower, which was on low, and dragged it out so I could understand what this guy was telling me. I was able to gather the car wasn't done and the problem was the power steering pump and I was offered a rental car. I knew I was in no condition to drive another mile, rental or not. I said for them to call me tomorrow about the car. I staggered to where my family was waiting, put myself in the passenger's seat and collapsed. My husband said he didn't know where he was or how to get home. I pointed him to the main road and said keep going straight, he would know the way. That's the last I remember. When my husband woke me up, I was at my job.

I didn't want to go to work. I wanted to sleep. I tried to quickly gather my bearings and appear competent and go in to work.    It was another 15 minutes mentally for me to come around, but thankfully I didn't bump into anyone. By the time I pulled myself together, I saw my boss and no one was the wiser. Which is the usual, trying to keep it together and no one is the wiser. After yesterday, Dr. S and my family gets my struggle to appear that everything is ok.

No comments:

Post a Comment